The Corporate Nanny™, Katharine Giacalone, writes a monthly newsletter where you can expect to be introduced to the four Playground Personalities©. In a long-ago Aha moment of her own, Kathy realized that in the push/pull of adult life, the same personality types we all encountered as kids on the playground are still with us. She believes that people have to “own their own stuff” and respect that you have to communicate with people in different ways to take advantage of what each one brings to the organization. There’s a good chance that what motivates you, doesn’t motivate others. Miscommunication—misunderstanding—can be a real stumbling block!
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T “Find out what it means to me” first, then what it means to others
- It’s a Matter of Style! Look Beyond Technical Competence When Recruiting in Today’s Market
- Offering help to someone could end up in a battle? Who knew? Know who you are talking to before you offer to help!
- What is your intention behind sending an email? Spoiler alert – many times it’s not received in the spirit in which it was sent!
See the full archives in the blog.
Articles by KathyG
- “5 Concepts All Healthcare Professionals Need to Know.” Executive Insight, March 2013.
- “When Communicating with Health Care Professionals, Knowing Playground Personalities Pays Off.” Enterprising Women, January 2013.
- “Compromise – Meeting Employees Halfway.” Washington SmartCEO, January 2013.
- “Oops, I’m the Manager.” KNOW: The Magazine for Paralegals, June 2011.
- “How to Help Your Employees Share Your Company’s Vision.” Washington SmartCEO, January 2011.
- “Playground Personalities.” 270Inc Business Magazine, October 2010.
- “It’s A Matter of Style – Looking Beyond Technical Competence.” Business Update Publication, June 2010.
- “Five Concepts New Managers Often Forget.” Society for Human Resource Management, March 2010.
- “Knowing Who’s Who: Going Back to the Playground to Build More Powerful Training Programs.” Manage Smarter, December 22, 2009.
- “Involve, Promote, Tailor: Putting Meaning Back Into Training Programs.” Manage Smarter, November 6, 2009.
- “Recruiting: Getting back to Basics is Key.” Perspectives Magazine. September 2009.
- “Making New Employees Successful in Any Economy.” T+D Magazine, June 2009.
- “Six Principles to Lead a Reorganization.” Talent Management Perspectives, February 2009.
Nanny In the News
Listen now to Kathy in the news:
- WTOP “Blueprint for Wealth,” December 8, 2012.
- Syndicated at mylegal.com: “The Legal Exchange,” program entitled “Do your words and actions motivate your employees?” January 5, 2012.
The Corporate Nanny has also appeared on or been featured by:
- “Lead, Innovate, Inspire,” Mike Patterson’s talk radio program, January 5, 2012.
- “Forward Motion”, June 2011.
- “Think About It,” on Montgomery Cable Channel 16, September 2010.
- “Rockville Writer Provides Help for Accidental Boss,” Gazette Newspapers, August 2010.
- “Blueprint for Wealth” program, May 2010.
- The Gazette of Politics and Business, Profile in January 2010.
- Buziness Gazette, Profile in January 2010.
- The Loral Langemeier Show, October 23, 2009.
- KFNN Business for Breakfast [Phoenix, AZ), October 23, 2009.
- KUHF Business News [Houston, TX], October 21, 2009.
- WUSA-9, June 12, 2009 and April 17, 2009.
And The Corporate Nanny has been quoted by: